Knife sharpening is an art and a science.
While manual sharpeners are a traditional choice for pro chefs to train their precious knives, they’re so time- and effort-taking (not to say that it’s not ideal for beginners).
That’s why the electric model comes into the market. It is much faster, more effortless, and has a wide range of price points to choose from.
If you’re considering choosing the best electric knife sharpener for your bladed tools, look no further. Below are the 21 picks I’ve compiled from the market.
- Top 18 Best Chinese Cleaver Reviews In 2020
- Top 20 Best Blenders For Crushing Ice Reviews In 2020
- Top 21 Best Candy Thermometer Reviews In 2020
- Top 23 Best Steak Knives Set Reviews In 2020
- Top 18 Best Electric Knife Sharpener Reviews In 2020
- Work Sharp Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Presto 08800 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Chef’s Choice 320 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Presto 08810 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Chef’s Choice 270 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Shenzhen Knives Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Chef’s Choice 1520 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Chef’s Choice 0130000 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Chef’s Choice 0110000 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Work Sharp Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Wusthof 3-stage PEtec Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Chef’s Choice 0130508 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- KitchenIQ 50353 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Chef’s Choice 0120007 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Cuisinart Waring KS80 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- Rival CN372 Electric Knife Sharpeners
- The Ultimate Guide To Choosing Best Electric Knife Sharpener In 2020
Top 18 Best Electric Knife Sharpener Reviews In 2020
Work Sharp Electric Knife Sharpeners
While it’s always been a hassle to get out all the sharpening stones, that isn’t a problem with Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener.
Designed with premium abrasive belts and three sharpening options, it provides precisely consistent results for all knives within a blink. It’s just as easy as you can be listening to NPR radio or watching TV while sharpening your knives.
With a 1-year warranty, the manufacturer guarantees this belt will never damage or burn blade steel while sharpening.
Besides, it is versatile enough to work on other garden tools, lawn tools, and bladed shop tools, such as scrapers, shovels, shears, garden pruners and more.
A compliment for the nice packaging. It includes all the needed instructions so you can’t mess it up and there also comes with a disk to make sure you’ll get the best use or angle of the sharpener.
Overall, this electric knife sharpener works as excellently as advertised.
- Versatile and highly valuable – you can use it to sharpen a wide range of bladed tools with precisely consistent results
- Easy and fast to sharpen – feature precision sharpening guides
- Safe and reliable – not damage or burn blade steel while sharpening
- If you have relative knives or friends, you’ll have to buy more belts
- Wish the serrated functionality worked better
|Dimensions||5 x 9 x 5 inches|
|Angles||65° or 60°|
|Power Operation||110 volts|
|Highlight Features||sharpen a wide range of bladed shop tools and lawn and garden tools; Precision sharpening guides; Easily Replaceable Abrasive Grit Belts|
Presto 08800 Electric Knife Sharpeners
The Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles like some do, however, it works decently.
What sets this model apart is the Sapphirite sharpening wheels – the premium hard material that can be easily found in professional shops, and the two-stage sharpening system. Therein, stage 1 is to ground and sharpen the blade, and stage 2 is to hone and polish the edge.
Combining with precision blade guides, it makes no guesswork, allowing you to sharpen your knives like a pro no matter how much experience you have.
The best thing is it takes only a few seconds to sharpen each knife.
In a nutshell, if you want to stay away from potential injury of sharpening with the stone and invest in a reliable electric model, try this.
- High-quality – use Sapphirite sharpening wheels
- Give repeatable consistent sharpening results – precision blade guide and two-stage sharpening system
- The grinding wheels are course
- Short power cord
|Dimensions||9.9 x 7.2 x 4.8 inches|
|Power Operation||120 volts AC|
|Cord Length||32 inches|
|Highlight Features||Sapphirite sharpening wheels; Precision blade guides; Two-stage sharpening system|
The LINKYO Electric Sharpening System can make any dull knife sharp like a dream again.
Although it is commonly compared to the Presto 08800 because of a similar design and the two-stage sharpening construction, I find some useful details that make this model worth a try.
Such as the removable plugs and mess-free receptacles that help cleanup to be easier with no mess. Or, the non-slip suction cup feet to keep the unit stay in place while sharpening and I do appreciate this add-on. Thanks to it, you’re kept away from any potential danger during use.
The sharpening performance is amazing as well.
It can sharpen a dozen knives in a row with consistent results with no hesitation to spin or being shut off.
- Easy to clean after use – easy-to-remove plugs and mess-free receptacles
- Safe and reliable – heavy-duty non-slip suction cup feet
- No hesitated to spin or being shut off
- The power cord out the back which is in the path of the knife
- Not work on ceramic or serrated knives
- Not feel as sturdy and solid as the Presto
|Dimensions||9.8 x 4.9 x 7.2 inches|
|Cord Length||3.5 feet|
|Highlight Features||easy-to-remove plugs; Mess-free receptacles; 2-STAGE SHARPENING; heavy-duty non-slip suction cup feet|
Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV Electric Knife Sharpeners
If you’re an aficionado who desire to get a perfect mirror edge on your knives but don’t want to spend your days sharpening and honing to your heart’s content, the Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV Electric Knife Sharpener is worth a try.
This America’s test kitchen sharpener gives a nice upgrade from the 20-degree angle to the 15 within a minute for the first time sharpening and under 10 seconds to re-sharpen.
That means you can have a bunch of knives sharp like razors without spending hours of life. For such incredible performance, it’s a big thank you to the clever combination of the ultra-sharp 15-degree XV technology and the durable Trizor edge.
Another bang-for-buck feature is the 3-stage EdgeSelect sharpening system therein stage 3 – by using a patented flexible system – is to polish serrated blade edges better.
All-in-all, this is an expensive investment but its decent versatility makes it worth it.
- Sharpen knives super-fast and smoothly sharp like a razor – the ultra-sharp 15-degree XV technology and the durable Trizor edge
- Time- and effort-saving – take within a minute for the first time sharpening and under 10 seconds to re-sharpen
- You can’t see the blade actually in contact with the stone
|Dimensions||10 L x 4.25 W x 4.25 H inches|
|Highlight Features||Trizor edge; 15-degree XV technology; 3-Stage EdgeSelect sharpening system; Advanced stropping stage and 100 percent diamond abrasives|
Chef’s Choice 320 Electric Knife Sharpeners
Differing from the previous Chef’s Choice sibling, the sharpening system of this version just includes 2 stages and the first stage is less aggressive than the 3-stage.
This gives you one less worry about cutting too much meat off the blades during the use. So if you’re a beginner, this is definitely a good start. The lighter and smaller silhouette also makes it easier to control.
Take note that this unit sharpens bladed tools at 20 degrees and even works on serrated knives.
The biggest selling point is it creates a phenomenally polished blade edge with quick, foolproof results. All thanks to the patented flex stropping disks in the second stage.
For such outstanding performance, no strange when it is highly ranked by Consumer Reports.
- Easy to control and store – compact and lightweight design
- Create decently polished blade edge – patented flex stropping disks in the 2nd stage
- Highly accurate angle control
- Run loudly
- Not ideal for thicker knives
|Dimensions||10.6 x 6.4 x 6.3 inches|
|Power Operation||110 volt|
|Highlight Features||Patented flex stropping disks in the finishing stage; 100% diamond abrasives in stage 1|
Presto 08810 Electric Knife Sharpeners
Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener is a great option for people who don’t have plenty of time on their hands.
The adjustable blade guides and 3-stage sharpening system makes it ideal for sharpening axes or badly damaged knives and tools.
Compared to the Presto’s 2-stage electric sharpener, stage 1 of this version gives a very aggressive power, which means it could take lots of meat off the blade if you’re not careful. Besides, the tool itself is heavier and larger than its previous sibling.
In turn, it allows for better positioning of the blade to the sharpening wheels. The adjustable blade guides are perfect for thicker bladed tools.
That’s why I would recommend this for heavy-duty use, like workshops, garage bladed tools, axes, and things like that.
- Ideal for badly damaged blades – feature ultra-aggressive power in the 1st stage
- Work well on thicker and larger bladed tools – adjustable blade guides and allow for better blade positioning to the sharpening wheels
- Bigger and heavier
- Unclear instructions
|Dimensions||18.4 x 11.2 x 2.2 inches|
|Power Operation||120 volts, 60 Hz|
|Cord Length||2 feet|
|Highlight Features||3-stage sharpening system; adjustable blade guides;|
Chef’s Choice 270 Electric Knife Sharpeners
If you’re confusing between the 250 and this model from Chef’s Choice, here is the difference.
Chef’s Choice 270 Hybrid Hone Knife Sharpener has a triple bevel arch-shaped edge that features 3 separate bevels at different angles on both sides of a blade edge. Compared to the 250 which has a double bevel edge, this new version lasts much longer.
This knife sharpener works great on sharpening all types of 20-degree blades or re-sharpening from 15-degree to 20.
It is fast and efficient while doing a fantastic job that I think is very close to a manual stone sharpness.
The 1st stage is aggressive enough to get rid of enough material to remove nicks but after the 2nd and 3rd, the blade is smoothly honed and polished, leaving a hairsplitting sharp edge.
- Last longer and sharpen both sides of a blade edge better – feature triple bevel arch-shaped edge
- Give a more smoothly polished edge with a sharpness that’s close to the performance of manual sharpening stones – advanced 3 stage hybrid technology
- Made in the USA
- Difficult to sharpen curved tips of a blade
- Not good on short blades
|Dimensions||11.2 x 6.2 x 5.2 inches|
|Power Operation||110 Volts|
|Highlight Features||criss-cross technology; advanced 3 stage hybrid technology|
Shenzhen Knives Electric Knife Sharpeners
Not only for regular knives, but the Shenzhen Knives Diamond Knife Sharpener is also perfect for ceramic knives.
By utilizing the coarse and fine wheels, it can clean up large chips on a ceramic blade knife within seconds while sharpening to a brand new edge. It’s also able to work on stainless-steel knives as well.
I love that it works as quietly and efficiently as the higher-end sharpeners while pricing much cheaper. It is compact, lightweight, and easy to store.
The best thing is its sharpening part is removable for replacement.
- Versatile and efficient – universal knife guide slot
- Can grind chips of 1mm deep off a ceramic blade – High powered, plug-in, electric diamond grinding wheel
- Easy to clean and replace – Removable diamond wheel cartridge and cover
- The guides are a bit narrow for hunting knives
|Dimensions||3.75″ x 8.75″ x 2.75″|
|Angles||Coarse setting: 36°, Fine setting: 40°|
|Highlight Features||universal knife guide slot; Removable diamond wheel cartridge and cover; High powered, plug-in, electric diamond grinding wheel|
Chef’s Choice 1520 Electric Knife Sharpeners
If you are finding a sharpener for home knives with the options to switch between 20 and 15 degrees, this is it.
The model is also quite popular in the butcher community or those who have to use your knives eight hours per day because 15-degree blades remain sharper than the 20.
This sharpener features 30stage sharpening system with 100% diamond abrasive blade guides and patented flex stropping disks that can work on a drawer full of knives in different sizes. And the final results are really satisfying.
You’ll receive razor-sharp blades with a microscopically polished edge while saving a bunch of time.
- Multi-functional and versatile – give you 2 choices of sharpening angles to work on American knives and Japanese knives
- Provide microscopically polished edge – Patented flex stropping disks
|Dimensions||12 by 6-1/5 by 6-2/5 inches|
|Angles||15 and 20-degree|
|Power Operation||110 volts|
|Highlight Features||100-percent diamond abrasive knife guides; Patented flexible stropping/polishing disks; Electric 3-stage knife sharpener|
Chef’s Choice 0130000 Electric Knife Sharpeners
Everyone should have this item in your home kitchen no matter you do the cutting, cooking, or any kitchen duty.
It makes sharpening stainless steel knives and Sabtier high-carbon steel knives a breeze.
What impressed me the most is the magnetic guides help keep the blade at precise angles so that you don’t need to press the knife down. The double bevel edge is another bonus as compared to the pro or factory edges, it is much sharper and lasts longer.
With it, you’ll have a sharp knife within seconds to fly through all the kitchen chores.
- Durable and heavy-duty – 100 percent diamond abrasives
- Last longer and sharper – Double-bevel edge
- Effortless and highly precise – Magnetic guides
- Take a little more time to sharpen knives than other counterparts
- Not work for hard knives
|Dimensions||9 x 6.2 x 5.5 inches|
|Power Operation||AC 120 volt|
|Highlight Features||Double-bevel edge; double-bevel edge; 100 percent diamond abrasives|
Chef’s Choice 0110000 Electric Knife Sharpeners
I think the Chef’s Choice 0110000 Electric Knife Sharpener is fantastic for beginners because it is very easy to use with an emphasis on the powerful magnets that ensure the blade is at a proper angle to sharpen.
It sharpens so excellently well that even a dull and old mass-market kitchen can become a brand new one after under 5 minutes of “training”.
The unit features a three-stage sharpening system using 100% diamond abrasives. Although I find that it takes a couple of more passes at each step than the instructions call for, you’ll be pleased with the final results if staying with it.
In short, I would recommend this effective electric knife sharpener for pocket knives, sports, household, and kitchen, as long as your knives are in 20-degree class.
- Multifunctional – can be used on many occasions and purposes of use
- Offer easy, effortless sharpening – Advanced Bi-Level magnetic guides
- Keep your knives stay sharp longer – feature 3-Stage 100% diamond abrasives sharpening system
- Not work for serrated knives
- Take more passes at each step than other competitors
- Work noisily
|Dimensions||6.3 x 10.4 x 6.3 inches|
|Power Operation||110 volt|
|Highlight Features||Advanced Bi-Level magnetic guides; 3-Stage sharpening system;|
Work Sharp Electric Knife Sharpeners
Specifically designed to meet exactly the needs of culinary professionals, the Work Sharp Culinary E5 is an excellent choice for pro chefs or home cookers.
Compared to the Chef’s Choice 15XV trizor, this award-winning design is superior because it utilizes flexible abrasive belts that conform to the blade edges more snugly. This helps avoid drag efficiently to create a perfect convex edge.
The biggest selling point is the unique vacuum and grit storage system.
It’s developed to suction all dust from the sharpening process, leaving a clean countertop with no requirement of emptying.
Besides, it features leather-lined knife guides to reduce scratching while providing the right sharpening angles for specific types of knives within easy reach.
- Practical and functional add-ons – include a free ceramic honing rod for better honing results
- Reliable – it was named as a 2018 innovation award-winning sharpener
- Leave no dust on the kitchen countertop after sharpening – feature built-in vacuum
- Effortless, convenient, and fast – the whole sharpening process is just under 90 seconds, auto-shutoff after done, and buttoned operation
- Require a bit of practice for precise timing
|Dimensions||7.2 x 4.5 x 5.2 inches|
|Power Operation||120 volt 60 HZ.|
|Highlight Features||Bonus ceramic honing rod; named as a 2018 Innovation award-winning sharpener; Built-in vacuum; Fast pre-programmed sharpening|
Wusthof 3-stage PEtec Electric Knife Sharpeners
This Wusthof 3-stage PEtec Electric Knife Sharpener is proudly made in the USA, which ensures quality.
It is specifically designed for Wusthof knives.
Compared to other imported counterparts, this differentiates considerably, especially in terms of stainless-steel housing and beautiful black. Note of the three-stage sharpening system that works perfectly for 14-degree German knives.
The sharpening process is extremely fast. Within a few minutes, it really sharpens any knife to a fine degree with the least amount of effort.
Another big advantage of this model is the consistency of the blade angle.
Considering its wonderful performance, I highly recommend this sharpener for people who have a drawer full of kitchen knives that need repeatedly sharpening as they’re used.
- Perfect for German knives – feature a 14-degree edge
- High-quality and trustworthy – made in the USA
- Aesthetic and durable – stainless steel housing and nice black finish
- Not work efficiently for a tall knife
- Leave a long line along the blade length
|Dimensions||12.2 x 6.3 x 6.1 inches|
|Power Operation||110 volts|
|Highlight Features||a 14-degree edge; 3-stage electric knife sharpener; Made in the USA by Chef’s Choice; Beautiful black and stainless steel housing|
Chef’s Choice 0130508 Electric Knife Sharpeners
For those who are looking for a worthy upgrade from the Original Factory edges, choose this.
It is made with a 3-stage 100% diamond aggressive sharpening system and precise angle guides, delivering unparalleled consistency, sharpness at 20-25 degrees, and quality.
Designed with versatility in mind, it works nicely on any type of knives, from pocket knives, sports, to Asian-styled, household, and kitchen knives.
The price is probably pricey but you get what you pay for. It makes any bladed tools work exactly the way they should after a couple of passes through its sharpening wheels.
Note: Make sure you follow exactly the instructions.
- Multifunctional, efficient, and versatile – sharpen both serrated knives and fine edges with the least metal removal
- Offer phenomenal consistency, quality, and sharpness – Precision angle guides and 3-stage sharpening system
- Not work on bent tipped blades
|Dimensions||12 x 6 x 6.2 inches|
|Power Operation||110 volts|
|Highlight Features||Sharpens both fine edge and serrated blades; Precision angle guides; includes professional sharpening, steeling and stropping stages.|
KitchenIQ 50353 Electric Knife Sharpeners
This KitchenIQ 50353 comes in two sharpeners with an adjustable blade angle just by turning a knob. It utilizes one slot for fine blades while the other using diamond interlocking wheels to be used for the larger or the utility blades.
Perfect for daily slight touch-up without eating up too much metal.
I also believe it’ll work greatly on ceramic blades as well.
In other words, it is easy to use and versatile for any type of knife, including the Nakiri knife with 15-degree angle edges.
I love the fact that it sharpens both sides of my knives at the same time with no damage while giving the right sharpening angle to match the original factory quality edge.
- Ideal for daily slight touchup without eating up too much metal – Diamond interlocking wheels
- Quickly sharpen both sides of the blade at the same time
- Offer precise sharpening angle – adjustable blade angle just by turning a knob
- A bit pricey
- Not ideal for tactical or hunting knives
|Dimensions||10-1/2″ L x 8″ W x 4-3/5″ H|
|Highlight Features||Diamond interlocking wheels; Sharpens both sides of the knife at the same time without damaging the knife; adjustable sharpening angle|
Chef’s Choice 0120007 Electric Knife Sharpeners
Anyone can put foolproof, sharp edges on their kitchen knives in a blink of eyes with this lightning-fast pro home sharpener.
Thanks to the novel Trizor-Plus sharpening technology, it gives you high customizability to work for either serrated or straight-edge blades like a breeze. The 100% diamond-coated conical disks in the two first stages deliver an arch-shaped edge with decent durability.
For souped-up cutting action on both sides of the edge, Chef’s Choice added a revolutionary flex stropping disk in stage 3.
Built with fixed high-accuracy elastomeric angle guides, it keeps you from guesswork during the use and as a result, it delivers hair-splitting sharpness over time.
- No movements or vibration while sharpening – resilient elastomer feet
- User-friendly and convenient – require no sharpening liquids or oils
- Enhance the cutting action on both sides of the edge – a revolutionary flexible stropping disk in stage 3
- Not effectively work for short blades
|Dimensions||9-3/4 by 4 by 4-1/4 inches|
|Power Operation||110 volt|
|Highlight Features||EdgeSelect features; Unique stropping and polishing Stage 3; 3-Stage sharpener|
Cuisinart Waring KS80 Electric Knife Sharpeners
This electric knife sharpener is particularly built to North American Electrical Standards so that you can use it anywhere needed. Perfect for home use or outdoor activities like camping or picnics.
It is a minimal, lightweight and compact unit that features one stropping wheel and two grinding wheels at an optimum angle of 18 to 22 degrees (recommended by Cuisinart).
While “training” a dull knife into its original sharpness within a short amount of time, it is impressive by featuring a magnetized drawer to collect all dust released during the use.
It’s also one of the rare sharpeners in this list that leaves the kitchen countertop super-clean after sharpening. The drawer itself is removable for easy cleanup or replacement if needed.
- Ultra-convenient and easy to use – Built to North American Electrical Standards
- Easy to clean – Magnetized, removable drawer
- The blade area near the handle can’t be sharpened effectively
|Dimensions||15.1 x 8.1 x 6.8 inches|
|Angles||18 to 22 degrees|
|Power Operation||110 volts|
|Highlight Features||Built to North American Electrical Standards; Magnetized, removable drawer; 2 grinding wheels and 1 stropping/polishing wheel|
Rival CN372 Electric Knife Sharpeners
The Rival CN372 Can Opener with Knife Sharpener is my last-but-not-least recommendation for people who are in search for the best electric knife sharpener for their bladed tools.
It is an automatic unit with an emphasis on the palm-of-hand lever.
The unit is extremely easy to use, works efficiently, and features integrated cord storage and lock for extra convenience and space-saving when not in use. Besides, it comprises of a knife sharpener and the Click ‘n Clean blade with pre-assembly.
This razor-sharp blade retains its sharpness incredibly long and it’s removable so that you can replace it when in need.
- User-friendly and full of convenience – automatic operation
- Easy to replace – Click ‘n Clean removable blade
- Space-saving – Integrated convenient cord storage and lock
|Dimensions||9 x 8 x 7 inches|
|Highlight Features||Integrated convenient cord storage and lock; Palm-of-hand lever; Click ‘n Clean removable blade assembly; Automatic operation|
The Ultimate Guide To Choosing Best Electric Knife Sharpener In 2020
There are two common types of sharpening knives – using rotating wheels and using a belt grinder.
The belt sharpening type includes some belts with different grits to train a knife. During the use, you have to swap belts to sharpen and hone it.
The wheel sharpening method, or called multi-stage sharpeners, sharpens a knife through several stages (commonly 2 or 3 stages). In each stage, it utilizes a specific rotating wheel that differs in grits and abrasives.
To sharpen, re-sharpen, or polish a blade, you just need to pass it through all the stages.
In comparison, the belt sharpener gives you better control over the grits, from coarse grinding to polishing and honing. And this method is cheaper in the long run. Meanwhile, the wheel sharpener is much easier to use – ideal for beginners.
This feature depends on the types of knives needed sharpening and it is paramount.
Choosing an improper sharpening angle for your knives will consequence to decrease its durability or inefficient performance. For those who don’t know, different types of knives come in a specific bevel angle.
For example, the Japanese knives are sharpened at a bevel angle of 15 degrees while the European models are at 20.
If you own different types of knives, look for a sharpener with adjustable bevel angles.
Your knife sharpener will never sit in the kitchen countertop forever, which means you should look for a portable and compact model.
Think backyard, garden, or garage.
Even the area of your kitchen countertop, what if it’s too narrow for a bulky knife sharpener?
One thing to take note is the more stages the sharpener features, the heavier and bulkier it will be.
What is the best electric knife sharpener on the market?
Here are the top three best of the best electric knife sharpeners in my humble opinion:
- Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener
- Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
- LINKYO Electric Sharpening System
Which knife sharpener is the best?
It depends on one’s purpose of use, budget, and preference. In this list, for example, the Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV is best for home cooking enthusiasts or pro cookers who have less time in hands.
The Chef’s Choice 320 is a good start for beginners, and the Presto 08810 is one of the most versatile models.
Are electric knife sharpeners any good?
Yes, they are.
They help you sharpen specific types of the knife to the original sharpness in a shorter amount of time and requiring little experience and effort.
Do electric knife sharpeners wear out?
Yes, they do.
But commonly, most electric knife sharpeners are designed with removable sharpening parts for replacement.
What is the best way to sharpen knives?
Here are three common methods to sharpen knives:
- Using electric knife sharpeners
- Manual knife sharpening stones
- Sharpening rods
How do you sharpen a knife for beginners?
Consult this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk3scs5FqCY
I hope I’ve helped you sort through the best electric knife sharpeners for your needs, preference, and budget.